Notes: The Hogy Epoxy Jig® Lure is a very unique jig in that its largely made out of a light weight but durable resin. This is important to mention because the clear epoxy offers natural light refraction through the lure that simulates the translucent nature of many bait fish. The lure also has a heavy length to weight profile so that it casts well but has a far slower sink rate than a metal jig. They light(er) weight nature of the Hogy Epoxy Jig® Lure allows for a deadly wobble and any speed. They come in a variety of lengths, weights and colors ranging from 3/8oz all the way to 4oz.
Casting Retrieve: The length, weight, density ratio of the Hogy Epoxy Jig® Lure is balanced such that here is no wrong way to fish it. Play with retrieve speed, rod angle, rod motion and pauses. The lure will come to life. The higher the tip and faster the retrieve, the more the lure will skip on the surface.
- Open water feeding fish: Go with the skippy retrieve! It’s as much fun as it is effective. Keep your rod tip pointed toward the sky and reel quickly while imparting shart rod tip twitches. The lure will simulate a fleeing baitfish skipping in the water in a very frightened manner.
- Over Structure: Slow retrieve with very short pauses so you don’t snag.
- Casting in heavy current: Hogy Epoxy Jig®Lures do well in shallow water with heavy current. You can cast the lure up tide and fish the swing. Hogy Epoxy Jig® Lures have a sexy tumble when fished on a dead drift.
- Blind Casting: Rotate through all the retrieves. The varied commotion is very effective in eliciting strikes when fish are in the area but behaving in a finicky manner.
Jigging Retrieve: Do to their light weight, this technique is limited to size 2oz and up.
- Fast, Varied Water Colum: 2oz+
- Slow, Targeted: 2oz+
- Twitchy, Targeted Marks: 2oz+
Colors: Pink, Olive, Silver and Green are great imitators of squid, sand eels, herring and mackerel.