The Protail Flys are designed to imitate micro-forage with an ultra-life-like swimming action and profile. Several years in the making, the Hogy Protail Fly has deep roots from Capt. Mike's time as an Orvis-endorsed fly fishing guide on Cape Cod. These heavy-duty softbait flys are made with the same durable soft plastic as our popular pre-rigged Protail Series.
1. Once the surface activity has been located, slowly motor to the outside edge of the feeding area, making sure to quietly approach the school.
2. Make a long cast towards the outside edge of the surface activity.
3. Use a slow, sharp twitching motion for surface popping action. Utilize occasional 5-10 second pauses for finicky fish.
1. When albies are spread out and holding deep working poppers on the surface can bring them up from the depths.
2. Use a variety of retrieves from a slow pop and stop, to a fast “scoot” and walk the dog style retrieve.
3. Protail Flies are perfect for traditional fly fishing presentations!